Pages

Follow me on my new journey of love, light and laughter during the Summer of 2010/2011 and beyond.

New dreams, new ideas, and new perspectives.
Tuesday, January 4, 2011

PostHeaderIcon day thirty-five

Sometimes it really pays to know your limits. And when you know them, then respect them. In my case it pays to know my children's limits because their limits are consequential to mine.

I dragged my kids out to Heide today, a place none of us have been to before. I know many photographer friends love the surrounding gardens, but I had no expectations. I invited myself to tag along with my little sister and Mum and Dad for lunch and then maybe, maybe, take a stroll through the exhibition. I'm a bit of an art bogan... but I like to think I'm fairly open minded when it comes to art, especially because my sister is an artist and I dabble in the odd photography ;-)

When the first thing you see as you walk in the door is something that looks like handwriting by a 6 year old, and your almost 6yo asks what kid wrote it, I should have known what to expect...

I'm bored.
I'm hungry.
I'm tired.
Why can't I touch anything?
This is boring.
When are we going home?

So I took the kids outside for a wander. We didn't go far, just outside the door really. But the kids had a run. I lay on the grass looking through the canopy. Ivy also lay down next to me, and for a moment everything was still and happy. And then she was all: shoes off, shoes on, hat off, hat on, my feet hurt, my tummy's sore, I'm not sleepy anymore, I want to go that way, Mummy you come too................ ETC ETC.

Then I hit my limit. I was over it. I said that's it, we're going home. But we'll just go back inside to say goodbye to Nanna and GD and Aunty Jenna first. On the way back inside Ivy took her shoes and hat off again, and ran away. And then after we said goodbye and we walking back to the car I discovered that there actually was some nice looking garden with more sculptures. Just 5 more mins I said to the kids. We'll go and check out the tin cows. It was further than it looked from the path. When we got there the kids wanted to turn straight back around and go back to the car. Elliot's drink bottle was empty. And there was a hill between us and the path leading back to the car. Halfway up the hill Ivy sat down and wouldn't get up. And then took her shoes off. Again.

Today's story is not so much of a blessing, but a reminder. Sometimes it really pays to be a bogan parent and not try to instil any culture in your kids whatsoever. At 5 and 2 years of age, they don't get it or respect it.

And the moral of the story - know your limits! Gah!!!!


5 comments:

Lauren said...

hahahah! did mum and dad at least shout you lunch???

Bette said...

Well don't feel bad, I found Heide rather boring when I went, I found the art to be too contemporary for my taste and I like art.

Don't give up, lol, there is some artistic foundations, there, just not at Heide.

Melissa Stampa Photography said...

Honestly, I have to give you major props for even attempting it. There is NO WAY I would try that with Alex and Reuben. I can completely see how it would go that way. (If I looked at just the pics though I'd swear you had an awesome time.)

Hazel Sinclair said...

But on the plus side, you did get some nice photos. x

Cazz said...

It's always worth a try I reckon...but always with the expectation that it may end in disaster! We have been to heide a few times...but I don't bother going inside. We just explore the gardens, sit on a rug and eat. I usually spend a fair amount of time asking my boys to stop climbing on the sculptures too! I lobe the pic of ivy running down the hill (shoes off I think!)