Pages

Follow me on my new journey of love, light and laughter during the Summer of 2010/2011 and beyond.

New dreams, new ideas, and new perspectives.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011

PostHeaderIcon day thirty-six

Today is my little Luna cat's 1st birthday. Not the day we got her, as she was 10 weeks old then, but her actual birthday. She was born in my friend Kim's cupboard of her spare room. Heavily pregnant teen Mumma Puss was caught in a trap (I think) and then brought to Kim's vet clinic where she works as a vet nurse. Mumma Puss had a lot of babies, and I can't remember all their names, only that Kim named them all after food lol. I'll see if I can press my memory here: Pepper, Custard, Gummi Bear, Wasabi, Chilli (and now I'm cheating because Kim reminded me of a couple more today), Koji, Zappo,,,, and one more I can't remember!!! Anyhoo, we adopted Pepper, the gorgeous shy little grey darling and renamed her Luna, for 3 reasons: 1) Luna was the name of the Smashing Pumpkins song we danced to at our wedding, 2) she was the colour of the moon, 3) Luna Lovegood is awesome! So little Luna came home with me and the kids in March much to Matt's chagrin. He pretends he doesn't like her because he doesn't like cats, but every now and then I see him smirk at something funny she did.

So we had a wee little party for her today. The kids made her a party hat which she LOVED (not) and we sang happy birthday and she ate some kitty treats while we feasted on 100s and 1000s bikkies, lolly bananas and chocolate. I tried to take some photos, but you know what, it's kinda hard to take photos of a cat in a darkish room who is trying to destroy her party hat.
(Yes, she's angry at me.)

So for today's blessing. It comes in the form of Kim and her wonderful workmates at the Hamilton St Vet Clinic in Gisborne. But mostly just Kim ;-) Today she thanked me for giving Luna a forever home, and that people like *me* are special for adopting our much loved pets. This is a direct quote from her on my facebook today:
The biggest reward is having them placed in such amazing lifetime homes like yours! I've placed 52 in the last 12 months best year I've had - it's a pleasure to have such sad beginnings turn into such lovely happy endings! It wouldnt happen without Families like you!! So from Luna and all the other "street kids" the thanks comes from us!! Xxxx
And she thanked me?

I just about choked on my cuppa. This gorgeous and generous and wonderful soul saves animals because she wants to. Because it breaks her heart into a zillion pieces to see them harmed and unwanted. Because she can't understand that anyone would want to treat another living creature in that way. She has a houseful of animals of her own (cats, dogs, horses) yet she still finds room in her heart and in her home to take in strays and work tirelessly to find them new forever homes. How can she possibly thank *me* for re-homing just one??

She is a true blessing, and the epitome of what it is to be human. So from Luna, and our entire family, and all the gorgeous little darlings you've loved and treasured this year, we give the biggest thanks to you Kim.

2 comments:

Bette said...

Beautiful story Mandy

Anonymous said...

I have known Kim for over a decade, too long to mention and I don't want to sound too old on here (!) but I can re-iterate what Mandy has just said about Kim.
Kim has a genuine love of animals and life in general and she gets so much pleasure out of helping sick, lost, homeless, unwanted animals out.
Mandy, I have not met you, but you're words brought me to tears as I know Kim and how true what you said, really is.

You said it beautifully though and I am so glad to read about Luna and that Luna is now with a safe and loving family.

Bec
xxxx